ARP Shelters Sign
Circular lead sign, painted yellow with black lettering which reads ‘ARP Shelter’, from Stockport Air Raid Shelters.
Stockport Air Raid Shelters opened in 1939 as the largest purpose-built civilian shelter in the country. They were designed to provide protection for up to 6,500 people during the German air-raids of the Second World War.
The tunnels, which lie under part of the town centre, provided shelter for people from Stockport and the wider Greater Manchester area through the dark days of the Blitz.
It is one of only a few objects in the collection that is original to Stockport Air Raid Shelters.
The sign can be seen in situ on the accompanying photograph. It is mounted on the wall of sandbags where people queued to gain access.