Austin Hopkinson Door
early 20th Century
The door of a drinks cabinet.
The cabinet stood in the office of local industrialist and politician Austin Hopkinson.
In 1908 Hopkinson invented a coal cutting machine and started his company, Pikrose, at Delta Works in Audenshaw to manufacture his revolutionary products.
There is a map of England and Wales stuck to the front of the door and scores of straight lines have been marked on the map. As Hopkinson travelled the country in his private plane to promote his coal cutting machine, every journey was recorded on the map.
The door was rescued by an employee, Mr Booth, when the company was taken over by an American firm.
Mr Booth had started out as a draughtsman at Pikrose after the Second World War and worked his way up to be one of the directors. After years spent hanging on the wall of his garage, the door was donated to the museum in 2008 by Mr Booth’s wife, who had worked on the company’s switchboard in the 1960s.