Banner of Oldham Society of Women’s Suffrage
A banner made by the Hearne sisters for Oldham Society of Women’s Suffrage.
This rare surviving example of a suffrage banner was made by three sisters – Annie, Clara and Frances Hearne who lived at 99 Manchester Street – for the Oldham Society of Women’s Suffrage.
The society was formed in 1910 and soon had over 800 members, all pledged to campaign peacefully for votes for women. The society was opposed to the more militant acts of the suffragettes which they felt harmed the cause.
Women from the Oldham area carried this banner as part of their campaign for votes for women. The banner was taken on the ‘Pilgrimage March’ of 1913. Local branches of the National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies marched for six weeks, holding a series of meetings all over Britain. An estimated 50,000 women reached Hyde Park in London on 26th July.