This top of the range motorcycle was made by the Oldham firm of Bradbury & Co Ltd.
This motorcycle was made at Bradbury’s factory, the Wellington Works, in Oldham. The company trademark of an image of The Duke of Wellington can clearly be seen on the bodywork.
This particular motorcycle was exported to Southern Africa soon after it was manufactured and only returned to Oldham after more than 60 years overseas.
Bradbury & Co Ltd was founded in 1862. It was UK’s first and largest sewing machine manufacturer but in the early 1900s diversified into making other things. These included prams, bicycles and eventually motorcycles. This particular mode with a 554cc engine and three-speed chain-drive originally sold for £59.