Ceramic Tile from Chadkirk Chapel
1300 - 1400
Ceramic inlaid floor tile with a cream fleur de lis design on a red-brown background. One of many decorative floor and wall tiles that were recovered from Chadkirk Chapel, Romiley, Stockport during restoration work in 1995.
Chadkirk Chapel dates from the 14th century. Though it is believed it may have earlier religious significance by dating back to the arrival of St Chad in the 7th century.
Inlaid tiles of this type were widely used in church interiors in the 13th to 16th centuries. The different coloured clays produce a pattern running all the way through the tile, so the decorative design is visible even when the tiles have worn down.