1670 - 1726
Pewter charger / plate with a plain broad rim and baring the touchmark for Robert Baldwin of Wigan
Produced in Wigan, probably in the late 17th Century and donated to the collection in 1946.
There were many pewterers in Wigan and the town was influential in pewterware design.
The first references to pewter in Wigan are in 1470 and the Wigan Company of Pewterers was established in 1627 with 250 makers recorded.
Robert Baldwin was a Wigan pewterer producing works from 1690 – 1726.