Colliery Ventilation Fan
Walker Bros “Indestructable” fan. From ex Sutton Manor Colliery near St Helens.
In 1866 John Walker started a small foundry on Queens Street, Wigan, making simple items for collieries.
In 1869 his brother Thomas joined him and they started making more complex pieces such as rope haulages and coal cutters. In 1873 they moved to Pagefield Works and began making a wider range of products.
The ventilation system for the Mersey Tunnel was supplied by Walker Bros and is still in use today.