J G Crace
Gothic Revival sideboard, made by J G Crace, after a design by A.W.N. Pugin for Abney Hall.
Highly ornate carved canopy, embellished with floral gilt panels above a central mirror flanked by carved panels of a floral waisted design. The base has two cupboards and an ornately carved apron on which stand a pair of gilt metal candelabras.
The original delivery label from ‘Messrs Crace Decorators and Upholders’ is still fixed to the base of the sideboard with delivery details to James Watts at Abney Hall, Cheadle.
The famous industrialist, entrepreneur, and former Mayor of Manchester, James Watts lived at Abney Hall in the mid 19thcentury. During his ownership he commissioned a grand redesign of the whole interior.
This piece was commissioned for Watts after seeing the ‘Gothic Court’ by A.W.N. Pugin and his colleagues at The Great Exhibition of 1851.