GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group

GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group Show menu
Back Show search
Back

Trencherfield Mill Engine

1907

A very large horizontal twin tandem, double acting, steam condensing engine. Used to power Trencherfield Mill.

Manufactured by John and Edward Wood, Engineers, Bolton. Installed at Trencherfield Mill, Wigan.

It is the biggest of it’s kind in it’s original setting and complete with working rope race.

Endorsed by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and awarded the 77th Engineering Heritage Award in 2012.

Fly wheel diameter 26’ 6’’.