GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group

GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group Show menu
Back Show search
Back

‘English Rose’ Kitchen

circa 1950

‘English Rose’ kitchens were first designed by Constant Speed Airscrews (CSA) in the late 1940s. The company made aircraft parts during World War II but turned their engineering expertise to the domestic market after the war ended.  Their kitchens were scientifically designed to provide maximum convenience, economy of space whilst also being incredibly pleasing to the eye.

The kitchen was removed from a house in Stockport in the early 1990s.  

The 1950s saw the transition of the kitchen from a simple cooking space to a multi-functioning heart of the home. The ‘English Rose’ was one of the first, if not the first, styled modular kitchen available in Britain. It lead the way in modern ergonomic kitchen design and to this day still remains a highly sought after item on the vintage market. It is the epitome of classic mid-century design.