Fire Engine Model
In 1854 the only means of fire protection in Bury Local Authorities was a hand hose cart, standpipes & hose for attaching to the street mains. There were also five manual engines in the town which belonged to large factories, and private brigades were maintained to work them.
In 1876 most of these had ceased to exist. In 1876 Edward Geall became the Chief of Bury Fire Brigade which at the time had one steam engine, two escapes, two hose carts, and firemen who were chiefly lamplighters. During his time at Bury, Mr Geall purchased a second steam engine in 1888, as well as a new hose cart & escapes. Two new stations were erected and the brigade increased in number.