Bell metal goblet. Made with the metal from the bell of Rochdale Town Hall when the spire burned down on April 10th 1883.
Rochdale’s original Town Hall tower was destroyed by fire in 1883. The fire began during a performance of Elijah that was taking place within the Town Hall. The fire was visible from Blackstone Edge and only 30ft of the tower was left standing afterwards. The original tower’s spire was painted, gilded and topped with a wooden figure of St George and was 50ft taller than the present one.