GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group

GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group Show menu
Back Show search
Back

HMS Hawkins Plaque

circa 1942

Plaque commemorating the adoption of the ship HMS Hawkins by the citizens of Stockport.

The plaque was presented by the Commanding Officer of HMS Hawkins to the people of Stockport and originally hung in the Town Hall. 

HMS Hawkins and her crew were adopted by Stockport as part of ‘Warship Weeks’; a British national savings campaign during the Second World War which raised funds for the war effort.

Local school children would write letters and send cards to the crew alongside knitted winter woollies of gloves, socks and balaclavas, to help keep them warm while at sea. Donation points were created across the borough where these could be dropped off for dispatch.