Jones Sewing Machine
It was manufactured by Jones of Audenshaw.
In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, sewing machines were an important fixture in homes across the country. There were few clothes shops on the high street and only the wealthy could afford professionally made clothes. Housewives therefore had to make their own clothes for the family, using cotton and threads produced in the local mills. The sewing machine of choice for Tameside housewives was a Jones sewing machine.
William Jones established the Jones Sewing Machine Company in Guide Bridge, Audenshaw, in 1859. He was the manufacturer of small domestic steam engines before turning his attention to sewing machines. He made significant design improvements to the type being imported from America, and went on to mass produce his machines. Soon, he was able to offer the public excellent sewing machines at very affordable prices.
As domestic sewing machines grew in popularity, Jones’ business expanded. By the 1950s Jones was second only to Singer, the American sewing machine makers, in terms of manufacturing and sales in the UK.