Moot Hall Key
Key of Old Moot Hall in oak display case.
Accessioned into the collection in 1928.
The original key of the Moot Hall. Moot Hall was the first public building exclusive of the Parish Church in Wigan and the court leet met in the hall.
The borough seal of Wigan depicted the moot hall and was used instead of a coat of arms. It was in use from the 17th century until 1922.
The Hall was demolished in 1869.