Morris and Co Stained Glass Windows
Morris and Co.
1909 - 1915
Six stained glass windows made by Morris and Co for the chapel of Cheadle Royal Hospital. The stained glass windows are made from designs by Edward Burne-Jones, William Morris and John Dearle, the principal designers at Morris and Co.
The windows are important on a number of levels.
The windows were taken from the Cheadle Royal Hospital Chapel in Cheadle, which plays an important historical role in the borough of Stockport. The design of Richard Lane’s Cheadle Royal Hospital was based on new theories concerning treatment regimes for the mentally ill which encouraged the introduction of aesthetically pleasing surroundings.
The hospital was intended for the wealthier middle classes and was the first asylum to accept voluntary patients. Morris and Co, who produced the windows, were renowned for the production of quality stained glass during the late 19th and early 20th century, with many commissions from educational and religious establishments.
They provide an excellent insight into the style of work produced by Morris and Co.
Edward Burne-Jones is one of the most influential artists of the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood and worked closely with William Morris on a wide range of decorative arts as a founding partner in Morris and Co.