National Gas and Oil Company Engine
It was made by National Gas and Oil Engine Co. Ltd., Ashton-under-Lyne.
This horizontal single cylinder gas engine was used in small workshops, cotton mills and factories. It generated power to run other machinery. Many universities and technical schools across the country used these machines as learning aids.
The National Gas and Oil Engine Co. was founded in 1889 by Henry Bickerton and Sir Dugald Clerk, who were both authorities on internal combustion engines. The works opened on Wellington Street, Ashton-under-Lyne.
The ‘National’ became one the largest producers of gas engines and oil engines in the world and became renowned for the high level of expertise among its employees. Overseas companies regularly visited to learn about their pioneering developments, such as using methane gas generated from sewerage as fuel.