Pair of Cotton Cops
1735 and 1885
This small display case contains two cotton cops. One cop dates from 1735 and it is deliberately paired with a cop spun in 1885 at Marsland Mill in Oldham.
The donor was William Mannock, the owner of Marsland Mill in Oldham.
This pair of cotton cops was one of the very first acquisitions of the new Oldham Museum & Art Gallery and shows the importance of cotton to the town. Oldham’s new museum opened with a ‘Fine Arts & Industrial Exhibition’ which included modern textile machinery from local firms alongside more historic items..
Mill owner William Mannock had this pair of cotton cops mounted into a case along with the invoice that dated the earlier example to 1735. His intention was to show the long tradition of cotton spinning in the area.