This is a press moulded glass paperweight in the form of a seated lion.
This paperweight was made by John Derbyshire at Regent Flint Glass Works, Salford. The lion paperweight was their most successful design and was modelled on the bronze lions designed in 1858 by Sir Edwin Landseer at the foot of Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square, London. The paperweights were produced in clear, frosted and coloured glass.
This firm specialised in pressed glass, a technique that had spread from America to Europe in the 1830s. It enabled complex designs to be mass produced making glassware available to a wider section of society.