early 20th Century
A cast iron box with hinged lid, inscribed on the top “PIPES”.
This box was built into the wall of Shed No 8 Dock, Manchester Ship Canal. Dockers going on shift deposited their pipes with the foreman who locked them up until the end of the shift.
When the Manchester Ship canal opened in 1894 it was the largest river navigation canal in the world and enabled Manchester to become one of Britain’s busiest ports despite being inland.
This is an example from our collection of objects relating to the building and opening of the Manchester Ship Canal.