1630 - 1670
The ‘plague stone’ is a large rectangular stone which has been hollowed into a shallow basin. Believed to have been found in Stockport market place it was used to wash money in vinegar to prevent the spread of the disease.
Stockport suffered two notable outbreaks of the bubonic plague. The first was recorded in 1605 when a lady named ‘Madd Marye’ was buried on the 9th October.
Stockport’s parish register records fifty-one residents dying during this outbreak. A relatively small number compared to Manchester, where is it is believed over a quarter of the population died.
In 1664 the second outbreak, known as The Great Plague hit, and a further 168 residents perished. Again Stockport wasn’t the worst hit. London suffered 6000 deaths a week at the peak of The Plague.