Constable of the Court Leet Helmet
The original helmet worn by the Constable of the Court Leet, Manor and Barony of Stockport. The helmet is made of leather with a copper-bound brim. The Stockport coat of arms and the words ‘Stockport Police’ have been painted and burnished on the front of the crown.]
The back of the helmet is painted with the number 1, indicating it was part of the uniform of the first policeman of Stockport.
The role of the Constable of the Court Leet was to maintain law and order during court sessions.
The hat was featured in an article titled ‘An Interesting Relic of Stockport’ in the Cheshire County News, November 27th, 1908.