This is a protector lamp produced to provide safe lighting in coal mines and also test for dangerous gases.
The lamp was made by The Protector Lamp and Lighting Co Ltd in Eccles. The company were formed in 1873 and are best known as a producer of miners’ safety lamps.
The use of these lamps significantly improved mine safety. They eradicated the need for miners to use open flame lamps which risked causing explosions when mixed with the flammable gases that collected in mines. The colour of the flame also indicated the presence of dangerous gases in the mines.