GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group

GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group Show menu
Back Show search
Back

Safety Lamp

early 19th Century

Davy Lamp, miner’s safety lamp made by J H Naylor, Wigan.

Donated to the collection by a local resident of Leigh.

Mining was an important industry to Wigan. The invention of the flame safety lamp in 1816 dramatically reduced the risk of igniting methane gas in coal mines and improved safety.

This lamp was made and used in Wigan Borough.

J H Naylor were a local brass foundry and engineers.