Glass sign which reads ‘Casewells Black Pudding Shop’.
Casewell’s Original Bury Pudding’s sign, once hung from Caswell’s Pudding Shop, Union Street, Union Square, Bury (now demolished).
Apparently, the making of black puddings started in 1810 when Casewell’s made and sold them at a shop at 60 Union Street, Bury.
The ‘shop’ was an ordinary terrace house and the black puddings were displayed on a large plate in the window; inside the house a little table acted as a counter. The shop remained in existence until 1968.