GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group

GMMG - Greater Manchester Museums Group Show menu
Back Show search
Back

Steam Hammer

James Nasmyth
circa 1851

This is a steam hammer which was developed in the 1840s by James Nasmyth, a Scottish engineer and inventor.

This machine was originally made for the Elscar colliery workshop where it remained for over a century. It is now located at the entrance to Nasmyth Business Centre, Patricroft, Eccles opposite the site of Nasmyth’s Bridgewater Foundry where it was originally made.

Powered by steam the hammer had the power to forge the increasingly large iron and steel components required during the industrial revolution.

The steam hammer was included on the Eccles coat of arms in recognition of Nasmyth’s achievement and of the importance of engineering to the borough.