The Whitehead Cup
Large two-handled, lidded silver cup made as a Boer War memorial, in commemoration of members of the Lancashire Fusilier Volunteer Battalion who lost their lives. Donated by Henry Whitehead, owner of a local cotton bleaching company. All the names of the dead from the 3 companies are on 3 silver plaques around the ebonised base. The cup is displayed in a purpose-built mahogany case with lion’s paw feet.
Henry Whitehead born in 1842, was one of Bury’s great benefactors, it was he who paid for the John Kay memorial. Henry served as High Sheriff of Lancashire in 1903, became a Deputy Lieutenant for Lancashire, and Justice of the peace, as well as Managing Director of the Bleachers’ Association. He was later knighted.