Spinning Jenny Tile Panel.
The Spinning Jenny tile panel was originally on the side of a building on the corner of Spinning Jenny Street and King Street. It was installed there in 1911 to mark the contributions to the textile industry of the Leigh inventor Thomas Highs in the 18th Century.
It is a local belief that Thomas Highs invented the Spinning Jenny at a house on Kings Street. The building was demolished during the redevelopment of Leigh Town Centre in the early 1990s.
The tile panel was saved and is now displayed inside Leigh Town Hall.
The panel was unveiled at Leigh Town Hall in 1999 following it’s restoration as a result of a millennium fund raising project led by the Soroptimist International of Leigh and District.