Wash Stand (George III)
Mahogany, satinwood-banded, enclosed washstand in the Sheraton style.
This washstand belonged to the Hutchinsons, a wealthy, prominent, local family, who owned a cotton mill in the town. They lived at Broom Hall, in Bury, which was demolished to make way for the construction of the Central Library and Art Gallery building, which opened in 1901.
In 1837 the Hutchinson family successfully negotiated a move from wool to cotton when they established Daisyfield, a cotton spinning mill on the banks of the Salford, Bury, Bolton canal in Elton.
The 1840’s had been difficult economically, and political unrest was brewing. The Hutchinsons had to mortgage the mill and houses at Daisyfield and borrow money from friends and family.