This plaque forms part of the Thomas Wrigley Gift which was accepted by Bury in 1897, the year of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. It formerly hung in Timberhurst, Wrigley’s house close by his paper mill.
The firm of Wedgwood was both one of the most famous and longest-established pottery manufacturers in the United Kingdom.
Once Wedgwood established himself independently, a great variety of ware was produced. However, one type in particular was brought to a pinnacle of perfection. This was an unglazed stoneware, which he marketed as “jasperware”.
In the late 18th century the factory introduced what we now think of as typically Wedgwood – blue stoneware with a frieze of white classical figures in low relief – often designed by the foremost artists of the day such as John Flaxman. Some of these designs were still in production up until 2009.
Wedgwood cleverly adapted his new ware to the prevailing taste for all things “neo-classical” producing a factory style in harmony with the fashionable interior of the day popularised by architects such as Robert Adam.