Wigan Borough Royal Charter
The oldest surviving borough royal charter, presented upon the incorporation of Wigan as a borough in the reign of Edward II.
This is the document that renewed Wigan’s rights and privileges as a borough, granted earlier by Henry III in 1246.
It allowed the burgesses of Wigan to form a guild, manage trade in the borough and granted them a degree of independence in the administering of justice in the town.
It was a document that built upon earlier rights granted to the town – such as the right to hold markets and fairs – and acknowledged Wigan’s importance as a centre of commerce.